With having or, more importantly, making time during the pandemic, I decided to use my time to take some classes and learn more. It helped getting rid of my cable TV in the fall of 2019.
Many Different Classes
I attended a few Creative Mornings Field Trips. They were about drawing and art, along with two different ones on making tortillas (corn and wheat). Another one had to do with creative writing.
Food Related Classes and Books
Another event about the food I enjoyed in 2020 was the 2020 Fall Southern Foodways Symposium: Future of the South. That ran on Saturdays in October (3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th) from 9:00 SM to noon central.
I have been learning about growing my own food, small scale farming, etc. I even purchased a fermenting class from a YouTube homesteaders channel I watch. It was a great class, and I’m looking forward to making more of my own ferments. I did a few ferments before I took the classes, but they didn’t turn out as well as I expected.
I’m looking forward to all the fresh veggies from the farmer’s market in the spring and during the summer too.
I read two books on fermenting too.
- The Fermented Man – A year on the Front Lines of a Food Revolution by Derek Dellinger
- The Noma Guide to Fermentation: Including Koji, Kombuchas, Shoyus, Misos, Vinegars, Garums, Lacto-ferments, and Black Fruits and Vegetables by Rene Redzepi and David Zilber
- Do Preserve – Make Your own Jams, Chutneys, Pickles, and Cordials by Anja Dunk, Jen Goss, and Mimi Beaven
I even spent time learning about food, more specifically beans.
- The Rancho Gordo Heirloom Bean Guide by Steve Sando and Julia Newberry
- Cool Beans – The Ultimate Guide to Cooking with the World’s Most Versatile Plant-based Protein with 125 Recipes by Joe Yonan
Reading Creative and Comic Related Books
I have been reading many creative books, with many of them being graphic novels on making comics. Here are a few of those books.
- Whatcha Mean, What’s a Zine? – The Art f Making Zines and Mini-comics by Mark Todd and Esther Pearl Watson
- Elements of Fire – A Comic Anthology of Color! edited by Taneka Stotts
- Cartooning – Philosophy, and Practice by Ivan Brunetti
- Glenn Ganges in The River at Night by Kevin Huizenga
- Drawing Book of Faces by Ed Emberley
One Odd Book
I even read a book on bee-keeping, which will help me when I get my own plot of land to grow food.
- Do Bee-keeping – The Secret to Happy Honeybees by Orren Fox
Here’s to More Diverse Learning
So as you can see, since the beginning of 2020 and into 2021, I have been all over the place attempting to learn new things.